Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Right to Bear Nickel Teflon fire control group

When I set about building my AR-15, I originally purchased a Palmetto State Armory lower parts kit. I wanted to set the lower up as basically stock mil-spec before I made decisions on what parts to replace. I tested the trigger which came with the lower parts kit and came up with an average of 7.5 lbs. Not horrible but "average" within the bounds of mil-spec.

I was trained on a mil-spec m-16, and I found it satisfactory but for my personal AR which I intend to use for 3 gun, I wanted something reliable but also crisp and lighter weight, which led me towards the many improved mil-spec offerings.

I was tempted by the ALG QMS & ACT and also by the TR enabling offerings. In all honesty had TR enabling had the obsidian fire control group in stock, that is likely the option I would have gone with. However, I saw a deal on slickguns for a nickel teflon fire control group which seemed to have identical stats to the ACT but at significantly reduced price (currently $39.99). I pulled the trigger and installed it in my lower.

The fire control group comes with trigger, sear, hammer, pins & springs, so it is a full fire control group. The pins looked like regular mil-spec pins but seemed to go into the receiver easier than the ones from the Palmetto State Armory kit. The trigger, hammer & sear all appeared to be nickel teflon coated. The parts have decent lubricity even being devoid of oil or other lubricant. I will oil them when the gun is run but all parts were tested dry (the PSA kit came with a bit of oil applied but no additional oil was added prior to testing).

One caveat to my review. I did not install it with the supplied trigger & hammer springs. I had previously purchased a set of JP industries enhanced reliability springs (red & yellow). I did not test the mil-spec trigger with these springs and only tested the nickel teflon trigger with them installed, so I can't say what the performance would be with just the supplied springs. I would guess a 5 to 5.5 lb break is completely reasonable.

In my testing, the trigger was improved IMMENSELY. It is impossible to measure "grit" and things people normally talk about with mil-spec triggers but I can say that the break averaged 4.25lbs. I tested the trigger with a trigger scale bought on amazon from the middle of the bow as you would pull when firing and obtained measurements from 4lbs to 4.5lbs. The takeup & reset also seemed improved over the trigger it replaced but that is also a more subjective measure.

I would like to make a statement on reliability. As this is basically a mil-spec trigger, I assume it will be at least as reliable, but I can't really rate its reliability in a vacuum. Since I did not use the supplied springs, the trigger will be lighter than standard, but even with the JP industries red hammer spring, there is the possibility of light hammer strikes. This fire control group does come with what look like mil-spec springs but they appear to be stainless and should be just as reliable as the Palmetto State Armory trigger.

In summary, I am EXTREMELY pleased with this trigger. The build in total will end up around $1000 and although I would love to be able to test out a Geissele or Timney trigger, this trigger performs excellently and blows them away in terms of price (trigger and springs together were around $50). I believe that this was money well spent and is so far perhaps one of my favorite parts of the build. If I had it to do over again, I would definitely purchase this fire control group again and may even do so to throw in an AR-10 build.

AR build lower with Right to Bear trigger installed

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post. Thanks for sharing the post. MCX guider is a stock advisory firm which provides tips for equity intraday, future intraday nifty intraday & option Intraday. Stock market is a place where many new stock market traders join the share trading league daily and trade daily in stock market tips. Intraday traders, stock market investors and market beginners should understand the meaning of the stock market for beginners cutting the learning curve
    Regards
    Nickel Tips Trading

    ReplyDelete