Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Why I chose to go with a nickel teflon BCG

When I was deciding what parts to go with in my AR-15 build, one of the first areas where I had a real choice was with the bolt carrier group. Sure, there are a lot of companies which make upper and lower combinations and you can choose forged or billet, but most of them will be relatively similar (as a side note, I am very pleased with the Aero Precision combo I picked out, more on that in a later post).

With bolt carrier groups there is a lot of variation in materials & coatings. I want to try to explain (based on my research) the various options and why I picked the one that I did (mild spoiler, I haven't actually picked one yet).

First of all there are a lot of different metals out of which the bcg can be made. I am not a metallurgist nor an engineer, so I can't really explain why one is better than the other. What I do understand is that there are certain areas that are prone to failure in the bcg and what a difference the coating makes in certain areas.

First of all, my understanding of bolt carrier groups is that the majority of failures involve lugs being sheared off in the extractor or issues with the staking of the gas key. This takes into account actual equipment error and not manufacturing error or issues in building the weapon. Most weapons, even in highly corrosive environments, shooting corrosive ammunition will not experience an issue on the actual bolt carrier itself. Additionally, although carrier tilt may have been an issue with early conversions from direct impingement to piston, it is less of an issue now and in regular DI rifles can be mostly ignored. Basically, any bcg that is milspec or better will perform adequately for even the most hardcore of AR-15 user.

So, if that is the case, why are there so many different types of bcg's out there and what purpose do they serve? All of the benefits of "enhanced" bolt carrier groups can be summarized in three points: ease of maintenance, frequency of maintenance & cosmetic appeal. Enhanced bolt carrier groups can run with less lubrication (some claim none and this has been tested. My upper and lower are cerakoted so theoretically I could attempt this but I'm not going to), are easier to clean (more on this later), and some of the various options look way cooler than a standard phosphate mil-spec bcg.

Nickel boron vs Nickel teflon/NP3 vs Nitride vs Microslick vs Phosphate

Again, not an engineer or metallurgist but this is my attempt to breakdown the advantages & disadvantages of the 5 categories of coatings most commonly available:

Phosphate
Advantages: Cheap, easily replaceable
Disadvantages: Hardest to clean, requires most lubrication
A lot of people will say "just buy a mil-spec phosphate bcg and be done with it." To a degree, they are right. A good mil-spec phosphate bcg can run $65 or less and the weapon will function. However, the phosphate finish attracts carbon, can be the hardest to clean and has no inherent lubricity which means that it will need oiled to run at peak efficiency.

Nitride/Melonite/Tennifer
Advantages: Very durable, some lubricity, can be cheap, matte finish
Disadvantages: Not as much lubricity, potential for metal wear, not as easy to clean
Nitride is a newer option for bolt carrier groups. It has been applied to pistol slides for a while and barrels are using it to replace chrome plating. Since it is a surface treatment, it ends up more evenly and is very durable. It has the second highest rockwell hardness of the options (generally around rockwell hardness of 64). This could lead to issues as the bcg is harder than the upper receiver but doesn't have the lubricity of some of the other options which could cause wear. If I were looking for this type of bcg, it would be hard pressed to beat this one from AIM Surplus for value ($100).

Micro Slick
Advantages: Very high lubricity, very high temperature resistance
Disadvantages: Not a good option for gas key, generally aftermarket, not as durable
Micro slick is a form of cerakote that can be applied after the fact to the bolt carrier group. The best version of this (the one they say is used in nascar) is sprayed on and then heat cured, there is also an air cure version. This coating will have the highest lubricity and will be very easy to clean. It is relatively inexpensive as multiple places only can apply it. However, cerakote can be scratched off relatively easy and the coating is unlikely to last the life of the bcg. Also, it is hard to apply films like this in the gas key which is one of the areas which needs the highest level of corrosion resistance. At $30-$50 it is not a bad option if you already have a phosphate bcg and want to enhance its performance but I personally would not choose it over one of the other coating options.


Nickel Boron
Advantages: Highest rockwell hardness, excellent corrosion resistance
Disadvantages: can stain, may lose lubricity over time
Nickel boron is a very good coating for a bolt carrier group. Like Nitride it is very hard but unlike nitride it also has a very high lubricity which means its less likely to cause wear. It will operate with very little lube and mostly wipes clean. However, it can stain due to being very light colored & having spots in the finish that carbon can fill in (see pic). Another side effect of the finish is that the raised areas can wear down over time which will cause it to lose its lubricity and make it effectively chrome. Still, even at that point it would be no worse than nitride. Another possible downside for people who don't like "blinged out" weapons is that it is generally a relatively shiny finish. From a cost standpoint, it has come down a lot from the $200 range, quality nickel boron bcgs can be had for much less.

Nickel Teflon/NP3/Obsidian
Advantages: Great combo of lubricity, durability & cleaning
Disadvantages: Cost, not as many options
Finally, we come to nickel teflon/NP3/Obsidian. These are all a nickel base coating infused with teflon for lubricity. This coating will have a high initial lubricity like nickel boron, but retain it over time. It usually comes in a greyish tone although TR Enabling has an obsidian finish that is darker and very attractive. In my opinion it is not as attractive as the AIM  Surplus bcg I mentioned above, but from a performance and cleaning standpoint, nickel teflon based coatings blow away nitride. Sharps and TR Enabling offer bcgs in the $200 range with this coating.

So which one should you get? That depends on what kind of AR you are trying to build and what you will use it for. In a budget build, you would probably be fine with a nitride or phosphate bcg. I am building my AR for 3 gun and I am willing to pay a little more to spend less time cleaning so I am going to go with one of the nickel teflon options. I was initially going to go with the Sharps, but I read about some people having reliability issues with them (un-relia-bolt?) so I was thinking about potentially the option from TR Enabling. However, Right to Bear offered to let me try out their nickel teflon bcg once it is back in stock, so I'm going to take that option.

Any questions, comment below and I will try to answer them as best I can.

3 comments:

  1. What has been your opinion about the Right to Bear Nickle Teflon bcg? I'm doing a build as well and am considering either an entire Nickel Teflon bcg or just the Nickel Teflon bolt carrier and a Nitride/Melonite Bolt - figure the softness of the bolt would help lessen the wear on the feed ramps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience the feed ramps don't experience a lot of wear (I've never seen them with unusable amounts of wear). I have a nitride bcg it's very good but I never actually got a nickel Teflon bcg from right to bear. I've seen a lot of nickel boron from them but I prefer melanite to nickel boron.

      Delete
  2. Sharps fixed the relia-bolt btw. They cited It was a issue with the Heat treatment during manufacturing. They sent out a FIXED relia-bolt replacement to every customer who purchased one along with a signed letter of apology from the owner.
    I don't own a Sharps BCG. Been looking at them recently and wanted to point this out bc I came across the issue you were referring to. They gave customers the option to keep their old relia-bolt as well instead of returning it (with free shipping). Some ppl didn't have problems so they kept their old bolt along with the new one. But those that did return their defective relia-bolt were entered into a drawing to win a free AR built by them.
    I was impressed with the way they handled the issue. No BS.

    That said...I just bought a brand new Fail Zero M16 NiB BCG from Primary Arms on sale for $99. Couldn't pass that up :D

    ReplyDelete